Easy recipe for bagel bread loaf, bagel bread as a loaf is just so good with its soft crust and dense crumb, whether for sandwiches with any savory fillings or with butter and jam!
This bagel bread loaf recipe is quite straight forward and easy to make, it requires two proves, first you prove the dough for an hour in a large bowl, then you shape your bread, arrange it into a greased bread mold and prove it another hour.
Same as for round donut shaped bagels, this bagel bread loaf has a soft crust and dense crumb.
This bagel bread loaf is perfect to accompany any kind of meal, same as you would with dinner rolls or for sandwiches, delicious with sweet spreads too!
For toppings, here I opted for sesame seeds, any topping will do: everything bagel topping, poppy seeds, coarse salt grains, etc.
How is this bagel bread loaf made:
- First prove the yeast in a mixture of lukewarm milk and water to which a tsp of sugar is added
- Once the yeast mixture is frothy, dump all the remaining ingredients and knead until the dough is smooth and soft, if needed you can add flour 1 tbsp. at a time but the dough must remain slightly sticky, it will stick a bit to the bowl of stand mixer too
- Turn the dough over into a greased bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and prove for an hour
- Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan (23 cm x 13.5 cm) bread mold, shape your bread, I like to form a round ball, roll it with my hands to form a cylinder, then I tuck the extremities under the cylinder, transfer the loaf into the prepared loaf pan, cover loosely and let rise for another hour
- Brush the top of loaf with an egg wash, sprinkle your topping of choice, slash the top 2 or 3 times with a sharp knife and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 25 to 30 minutes
- Let cool completely before slicing
I like my bread freshest, therefore I always freeze it. This bread freezes well, I like to slice it before freezing then I store it in my freezer into a Ziploc bag, this way we can help ourselves with a slice whenever we want and just pop it in our toaster.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do, please leave me a comment and let me know how it went!
- 1 loaf
- 2 h 30
1/2 cup (120 ml) lukewarm milk
1/3 cup (75 ml) lukewarm water
2 tsp Instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
3 cups (390g) all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
3 tbsp. (35 ml) Olive oil
1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water
1 bread mold 9 x 5 inches (23 cm x 13.5 cm)
Into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the instant yeast, sugar, lukewarm milk and water, about 100°F (40°C), wait about 10 minutes until frothy
Dump the rest of the ingredients starting with the egg and olive oil, knead until a smooth and soft dough has formed, if needed you can add flour 1 tbsp. at a time but the dough must remain slightly sticky, it will stick a bit to the bowl of stand mixer too
Turn over into a large greased bowl, lightly grease the top, cover loosely with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place
Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan (23 cm x 13.5 cm), shape your bread, I like to form a round ball, roll it with my hands to form a cylinder, then I tuck the extremities under the cylinder, transfer the loaf into the prepared loaf pan, cover loosely and let rise for another hour
Pre-heat your oven at 375°F (190°C), brush the top of loaf with an egg wash, sprinkle your topping of choice, slash the top 2 or 3 times with a sharp knife and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Check after 20 minutes baking, if your bread is browning fast, cover lightly with aluminum foil
Let cool for about 15 minutes into the mold on a cooling rack
Then remove from the mold and let cool completely before slicing