Easy homemade chicken tikka masala recipe, one of the most famous Indian cuisine recipes, chicken tikka masala is creamy, spicy and so flavorful!
Chicken tikka masala is perfect for weeknight dinners, it’s ready in 45 minutes and delicious served with Basmati rice and naans.
In this recipe, the chicken breasts or thighs are cut in 1 inch pieces, seared on all sides and set aside. Then a flavorful tomato sauce spiced with paprika, garam masala powder and Cayenne is cooked until reduced and thickened, assembled with the cooked chicken, it’s delicious, easy and advantageous! Serve with Basmati rice and naans.
- I used store bought garam masala powder, it’s a spice blend generally made of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, star anise, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
To make this chicken tikka masala:
- You can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs, I prefer chicken breasts, I find it’s handier
- Cut your chicken in 1 inch pieces, dredge in flour and sear 3 to 4 minutes on all sides in hot oil, set aside
- For the sauce, melt a chunk of butter, add all the ingredients for the spiced tomato sauce except cream, cook to reduce and thicken the sauce, about 10 to 15 minutes, add the cream, cook 1 minute, taste and adjust seasoning, add the chicken pieces, cook just to re-heat
- Enjoy with Basmati rice and naans, or any good bread for dipping in the sauce
- Freeze any leftovers into a lidded plastic container for about a month, chicken tikka is one of these dishes that taste even better when re-heated
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do, please leave me a comment and let me know how it went!
- 6 servings
- 0 h 45
2 pounds (900 g.) or 4 Chicken breast
2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp Cayenne pepper or to taste
2 tsp Garam Masala spice blend
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 jar 29 oz. (822 g.) Tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup (240 ml) water
1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
Flour for dredging
Some vegetable oil and butter for cooking
A pinch of coriander or parsley for garnish
Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces, dredge them in flour
Into a large skillet, on medium/high heat, heat two tbsp. vegetable oil, add the chicken pieces and sear 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden, remove from the pan and set aside, proceed in batches if necessary
Into the same pan, reduce the heat to medium, add 3 tbsp. butter and the rest of the ingredients except the heavy cream, cook until the tomato sauce is reduced and thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes, add the heavy cream, bring to boil and cook for 1 minute, taste and adjust seasoning if needed
Add the chicken pieces and juices, cook just to re-heat, sprinkle some coriander or parsley
Serve with Basmati rice and naan flatbread, or any good bread for sponging the sauce!